MONARO CLOUDRIDE and Prologue
These are not organised or sanctioned events in any way. It's simply a group of like minded friends out to ride their bikes on the same route at the same time to challenge their personal boundaries. The tracking page will allow you compare times afterwards, but more importantly the opportunity to share experiences and the satisfaction of completing the challenge and pushing yourself beyond the normal bounds of your everyday life.
All we provide is a route and a suggested start time. Period. There is no on-trail support, no checkpoints, nothing, you are completely on your own, just as you would be if you chose to ride through the high country and Monaro region, or any other trail, on any other day.
Anyone is welcome to ride the route at any time. ITTs [individual time trial] are possible and will be recorded on the tracking page with that year's results, provided you are registered on the tracking page. If you wish to tour the route you're welcome. I'll provide a .gpx file of the route excluding the private property issues that are only accessible for the race period.
Finally, ‘the rules’ of self-supported racing are cast in concrete by history in the tradition of ultra endurance bikepacking.
Breathtaking Events Pty Ltd will act as facilitator in determining the route and any variations that might arise as dictated by safety or on-track conditions. Some sections of the Monaro Cloudride will traverse private property and National Park areas and the normal courtesy and constraints that apply to the general public will apply to participants. Transit across national park areas will be on service access roads approved for mountain bikes. Permission will be obtained from private landholders where necessary otherwise the route follows public access fire trails, approved mtb access roads, crown roads and local shire roads.
1. Obey the Rules
2. Riders must commence and finish their ride from BentSpoke Brewing Co, Elouera Street BRADDON in the ACT at any time after the designated start time for the event. There is no official starting time and no finish time cut-off.
3. Participating riders must ride solo, self-supported, self-timed. The course will be observed as one stage, and the clock runs non-stop. There are no required checkpoints or designated rest periods on course.
4. All riders must carry and have operating a GPS Tracking device [eg: SPOT or InReach] throughout the duration of their ride. The event and all riders will be registered with a web based tracking program. A race tracking registration fee [$100 see Rider Services] will be payable by all riders at the time of rider registration. Breathtaking Events has limited SPOT Gen3 Race Trackers available for hire @ $50 [if hire required]
5. To complete the Route, a rider may resupply food/equipment, rent a room, launder clothing, or service their bike at commercial shops along the way. The intent is to ride unsupported between towns, and function self-supported when in towns. Any services utilised must always be commercially available to all riders and not pre-arranged before the commencement of the ride. No private resupply, no private lodging, no outside support from the general public, family or other riders. Serendipitous occasions do arise and these may be shared in the spirit with which they are offered.
6. In the event of mechanical or supply failure, a rider may hitchhike forward, backward or off route in order to have their bike repaired or replenish supplies. Once the objective has been satisfied they must then return to the point where they received assistance and recommence riding again. The constraints of Rule 4 will apply. Hitchhiking must be serendipitous.
7. The course route will be the .gpx file provided to each registered participant. Any deviation off the route by accident or intent must be recovered by returning to the point of deviation and recommencing the ride on the prescribed route. There are no alternates or optional variations from this route unless dictated by circumstances in the course of the ride. In the event of intervention by nature [eg; fire, flood] riders must take due care and detour the section via the shortest logical alternate route. Compliance of the route will be determined by the GPS tracking trace of a riders progress and/or if necessary, supported by the riders provision of a .gpx file trace of their ride.
Riders who fail to comply with the above rules will be relegated to a suplementary list of finishers at the end of the official finishers list or, if they fail to complete the course will be listed as DNF.